Wednesday, July 13, 2005

It ain't love, but it ain't ba'a'a'a'd

I went into publix yesterday afternoon looking for a steak. I came out with two lamb chops instead. They were so tiny, like little t-bone steaks that fit in the palm of my hand.

While they came up to room temperature, I got out the mortar and pestle and made a paste of garlic, chopped fresh rosemary, cumin seeds, kosher salt, cracked pepper and olive oil. I rinsed the chops--as I do with all meat from the grocery store--and placed them both on a small plate. I smeared them with the garlic paste, flipping them a few times, at first to work in the flavors and then because I liked the domino-sounding click of the bones on the plate. I then put the chops on a rack and broiled them for about three minutes per side. Served with some frozen peas and tomato wedges with salt, it made a pretty good dinner. Usually, I'll dress peas with lemon juice, but, well, no gots, so they went onto the plate plain. Luckily the drippings from the lamb and its paste were enough to coat them, making a nice glossy dressing.

As for the lamb itself, the cumin really added an extra-meaty dimension to the taste of the meat. The flavors of garlic and rosemary were strong, but I was glad to find that the cumin still stood out. I suspect that the chops would have been even better grilled over some coals, but firing up the grill is a little too much work for a cut the size of a beer coaster.

This was another one of those times when pictures weren't possible because as soon as the food was ready, it was on the table and being eaten. I'll surely make it again though, and maybe take some pictures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home