Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Dinner beside the sink

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I had Pizza Hut for dinner last night again for lunch today. Despite it being a veggie lover's pizza, something a little healthier was in order this evening.

For better or worse, most of what I ate tonight I ate in the kitchen, standing up, cooking other things.

I began with some celery and blue cheese dressing. I've been craving wings lately (more on that later, I hope) and so far, this is the closest I've come. I also had some carrots and raw broccoli with the dressing. The rest of the broccoli was steamed and eaten with a squeeze of lemon juice. All the while I had some small red potatoes cut in sixths and boiling in a pot of salted water. When they were tender I drained them and fried them with butter, olive oil, kosher salt, cracked pepper, rosemary from the garden, and a smashed garlic clove. The potatoes were brown and crisp--much more crisp than the photos I took of them. When they were done I finally sat down with a Caracole amber ale and finished my dinner.

It was a simple and very satisfying meal with an unusual arch to it. I guess what I mean is that because I cooked while I ate, by the time I sat down, I was already fairly sated. The potatoes were by far the richest of the three "courses" and did serve as a good end to the meal. Maybe I'm thinking about it to much. I tend to do that when I cook for myself and eat alone. Not that it's a bad thing. Wow, anyway.

For dessert, I took pictures of a small dish of cherries. This shot was one of the better ones of about 40. I cut down on the glare on the cherries by masking the halogen lamp in my bedroom with a few sheets of charmin. Crafty, eh?

4 Comments:

At 2:33 PM, Blogger Cate said...

Gorgeous pictures of the cherries! I can totally relate to the challenge of getting a good snap - it took me forever to get a reasonable one of vanilla ice cream the other day.

 
At 12:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your site is one of the ones I find myself stopping by just to check out the photos.

 
At 3:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, the picture and the cherries look good... you made an impromptu diffusion gel out of toilet paper? Very slick nick

 
At 5:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree you almost want to eat the pictures. Do you take the photos yourself?
http://www.bestbuyuniforms.com/
Chef Uniforms

 

Post a Comment

<< Home