Sunday, March 27, 2005

Easter Brunch

Really, I don't think Easter had too much to do with it, but still, it was Easter, and so we brunched. The noon meal included a potato, leek, and pea fritatta, fresh canary melon and papaya with lime, grilled slices of ham, and rosemary potatoes. Others brought crepes, homemade chocolate truffles, fresh bread with cashew butter, orange juice, and Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee.

Lastly, there were bloody marys. This might have been my reason for brunching in the first place, but I'm not saying for sure. At any rate, I'd never mixed one before, but I was pretty happy with the way they came out. The recipe was, I believe, pretty standard: tomato juice, vodka (Absolut), celery salt, worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, and hot sauce (I used sri racha, a Vietnamese chili sauce--the one with the rooster). As a garnish I used bamboo skewers with large chunks of yellow and orange bell pepper, celery, and cucumber. I like the idea that there's a lot of possible variations. I'll have to include some more stuff next time. Maybe some shrimp or some pickled items. I don't know that I'm ready for the beefamato or raw oysters yet, but we'll see.

As a side note, this was one of those occasions where I was too interested in food to take any decent pictures. My apologies.

2 Comments:

At 8:11 AM, Blogger Barbara said...

Don't worry about the pictures......I can relate. It sounded like fun though.

We have a place in DC we go to sometimes that has a Bloddy Mary/Mimosa brunch. The Bloody Mary's are fix your own but the mimosa's are mixed at the bar. I've had many a good mimosa there. At least that's what I've been told, after all those mimosas's who remembers anything :)

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger Suebob said...

Sounds like a wonderful meal.

I too love sriracha chili sauce - at $1.69 for a huge bottle, one may be a lifetime supply for me!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home