Saturday, March 26, 2005

Milk's leap toward immortality

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I've been toying with the idea of trying a cheese a week. I don't know a whole lot about different types of cheese, so I figured this would be a good way to try a variety of things and keep track of my likes and dislikes.

What you see here is a sheep and cow's milk camembert from Old Chatham Sheepherding Company in Old Chatham, New York. For now, my cheese vocabulary is lacking. I'll have to read up on some other cheese reviews to see what the best way to describe common cheese characteristics is. I know that this is a "soft-ripened camembert-style cheese." It was quite soft, even right out of the fridge. The texture was smooth, and there was only a slight tang, almost like buttermilk, but with a more aged or developed depth to it. Once it softened up to room temperature, the texture was more like clotted cream (surprise). Overall, a pleasant cheese. More tasting notes to follow, hopefully.

On another cheese-related note, I picked up some Junket rennet tablets so that I might try some cheesemaking at home. Have a look at what this guy is doing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home