Wednesday, August 11, 2004

Hurricanes and Dog Food

I'm still in Key West, and as luck would have it, there's a hurricane slated to pass through here in the next few days. So, while we go about gathering supplies and considering what sort of non-perishable items we'll be stocking our larder with, our dog Willie (aka Wilbur, aka Wil da Beast, aka WillieBurgers or, just plain Burger (if you're nasty)) will be dining on his new Innovative Veterinary Diets brand Venison and Potato formula dog food. He has allergies apparently. Curious and to some degree jealous that the dog gets to eat game every night and I don't, I checked out the ingredient listing in hopes of consoling myself. The list begins as follows: "potatoes, water sufficient for processing, venison by-products[um, yeah, I feel a little less cheated already], venison, canola oil,...natural venison flavor[have to put that on the next grocery list]." What follows these distinguishable ingredients is a list of various vitamins, minerals and preservatives such as "manganous proteinate" and "menadione sodium bisulfate complex (source of vitamin K activity)." This list of various unpronounceables is capped off by, of all things, "rosemary." So yeah, the dog is eating like a hunter. He is part jack russell. I suppose he'll want some brown bread, chantrelles and red wine to go with it. Sorry Wilbur.

For those of you who haven't seen the dog, I apologize, there will be no pictures. Oh I have pictures, but if I posted them, I'd move into the category of those other people, the ones that post pet pictures online. Somehow writing about him seems more defensible to me.

At any rate, there may be some posts in the near future dealing with cooking in the dark and opening the fridge very sparingly, but hopefully not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home