Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Yucatecan fish and a plum tart

Usually, I only make this dish at home because the fish up here isn't that great. Not that the tilapia on sale at publix was especially choice this evening, I just had a craving for this particular meal. Essentially, this is fish filets poached in a sauce of lime juice, tomatoes and serrano chiles, then topped with cilantro and crispy browned garlic. Normally, I don't agree with cooking garlic to this degree, but in this case, the nutty, almost caramel like texture goes very well with the acidity of the lime juice and tomatoes.

As for the tart, I found the recipe in the new issue of Olive, a British food mag. Originally an apricot tart, I used plums because that's what was available. To start, I caramelized 3/4 of a cup of sugar in a pan, then set the halved and stoned plums in the caramel. I then topped this with a round of puff pastry and put it in a 375 degree oven. I'd never used puff pastry before and it was quite easy. I even made some little guava pastries with the left over pieces. I think if I do this again I'll pass on inverting the tart onto a plate as I think the weight of the plums deflated the pastry quite a bit. Still, it was very good.

1 Comments:

At 11:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you ever seen Asparagus this BIG
They grow up to 15in long and 2in wide.
gardening gift

 

Post a Comment

<< Home